Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week number one

Okay, so I know it's only the first week, but I'm already going to cheat. You see, I floated down the Provo River on Saturday and I REALLY want to write about that. So can that count as my weekly adventure for this week? Shh. Just don't tell anyone. Saturday is at the end of the week anyway, right? :)

Let me just start off by saying that I have wanted to do this for 2 years now! I heard about it my freshman year and for some crazy reason I never actually did it until now. Why? I'll never know because it was absolutely wonderful!
To get there you drive up the Canyon until you see a sign that says, "Rent tubes" on your right (Just before Vivian park). It's $15 per person, which includes: parking, tube, life-jacket, and shuttle up the canyon to the starting point. So not too bad of a price, especially for how much fun it is. I say it's totally worth it! You can pay with a card or cash and you leave your keys with them. Then you grab your life-jacket (super old school jackets that are totally awesome!) and your tube and you take the shuttle 10-15 or so minutes up the canyon.

Note to all new floaters: Don't try and hold on to your partners and their tubes.

Especially when you first start off. It doesn't work. Why? Because you float to the side and into old trees and branches that might as well be knives. Yes, this happened to me and the 7 or so girls that tried to link together. We went straight for dagger-branch lane and we were all screaming not knowing how to push ourselves from going that way (TIP: you let go and maneuver yourself with your hands... duh.) So that is how I got the cut on the side of my face. opps. Now I know, I guess. We let go and laughed off the fear that overtook us for about 5 seconds. haha. Later down the river you can link up and it works just fine. It is true, however, that you can't lay back and close your eyes the entire time because there are times where you need to push yourself to one side to avoid a tree or a rock...etc... but let me tell you I wouldn't close my eyes if someone paid me! It was SO BEAUTIFUL! The whole way down I thought I was in another country floating through forests and jungles. Normally I would blame that on my imagination, but I know for a fact this was real. Utah is so amazing to me. Every mountain looks different. While you drive up the canyon notice how on your left there is a rocky, gray mountain and on your right it's lush green and then all of the sudden it's a desert. Seriously so cool. I couldn't take my eyes off the incredible mountains the whole float down--which was probably about 2 or so hours. If you want to try something fun lay on your stomach and use your hands to push yourself in circles. You can get going really fast! Just be careful you don't get too dizzy! The river is pretty consistent but there are spots that take you pretty fast or pretty slow. It's never scary though, so don't be afraid. All in all we had a fantastic time and I will totally do it again in the future.

Floating down the Provo River was a total success!

I loved every second of the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment